Category: Business Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
Type: Regular Full-Time
Job Location: US - MO - Kansas City
This position is accountable for the overall direction, plan development and execution for a major group and/or product line to maintain strong brand awareness and maximize short and long-term sales volumes and profits. Plans, directs, and coordinates the efforts of product management, marketing, and scheduling plans toward the accomplishment of corporate objectives. Ensures that adequate product management plans are implemented and resources are in place to achieve long-term corporate growth objectives. Establish priorities and direction for product lines including pricing, promotion, packaging, product quality standards, line extensions, and capital investment. Also directs research and new product development and planning for assigned product line(s).
include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Sales and Manufacturing Initiatives – Responsible for traveling to Farmland/Cooks markets to meet with key customers, work with sales, and gain competitive/market intelligence. Responsible for calling on existing and new accounts. Lead and conduct Farmland direct sales training at all the plants. Work in manufacturing plants along with Operations and QA to ensure specified standards and quality are consistently achieved.
- Volume Responsibility - Responsible for meeting Annual Operating Plan volume budgets for fiscal year within outlined parameters (% of growth). Total, Retail, Foodservice, Industrial, and International volumes must be met within targeted growth.
- Profit and Loss Responsibility – Responsible for meeting Annual Operating Plan product group/product line profitability objectives for fiscal year based on a specified budget numbers across all channels; Retail, Foodservice, Industrial, and International. Responsible for total P&L for a major product group which includes sales volume, sales dollars, cost of goods, gross margin, shuttle and storage expenses, plant variances, direct marketing expenses, net contribution, and profit before taxes.
- Marketing Initiatives – Provide Strategic direction for consumer and trade plan and collaborate with Marketing and Consumer Marketing on promotions, media placement, product line position, and pricing. Utilize IRI, Fresh Look information and other syndicated data to help manage and drive new distribution. Participate and lead brand planning process. Provide instruction and direction to retail and foodservice brand management to grow product line awareness. Lead new product development process from concept to launch.
- Department Management – Responsible for Inventory management (meeting inventory turns, SKU management and rationalization); Price Management (maintenance of price list and MSRP, reduce invoice allowances, and implement price strategy to meet company objectives); Department Management (staff development, developing performance plans, and providing timely feedback).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university in Business Management or related field and 6-10 years sales and product management experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in processed meat sales preferred.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- The ability to work through complex, unstructured problems.
- Capable of communicating and expressing ideas clearly and concisely, both written and oral.
- High level of written and oral communication skills, organization planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning and adaptability.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of Internet software, Excel spreadsheet software and Word processing software.
- Must be able to travel 40% of the time.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation for a Business Manager and their scheduling staff.
- Carries out managerial/supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; outside weather conditions; extreme cold and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Scope/Impact of Job:
- Estimated volume – 175,000,000 lbs
- Estimated dollar sales - $ 250,000,000.
- Number of Accounts: No direct account responsibility.
Farmland Foods is a EOE/AA employer.